5 Minute Photoshoot

For my first challenge in my new role of assistant challenge admin, I’m not going to give you a theme.  Instead, I’m going to suggest an exercise for you to do this week.  Don’t worry, it’s an easy one!

The idea is that it won’t take up much time (so even the busiest of you should be able to find space in your week for it!) but it should get you looking at your surroundings in a new, more “photographic” way.

You will need:

• A camera (obviously!)
  • Some kind of stopwatch, clock, or egg timer
  • 5 minutes of your time

What I want you to do, is find a location (any location, it doesn’t matter. It could be your front room, your garden, a local park or the top of everest if you happen to be in the area!) set your timer or alarm for 5 minutes.  Then start shooting!

Take as many different photos as you can in that 5 minute period.

When the timer goes off, stop shooting and put your camera away (no over running!)  When you get home, go back through what you’ve shot and show us the one you like best.

We’re aiming for quantity, so shoot quickly, don’t bother looking at the LCD to see what you’ve just taken a photo of.  Try to make each photo you take in those 5 minutes different in some way (so don’t just take 50 photos of your dog!)

I realise this may take a few of you slightly outside your photo-challenge comfort zone, but please give it a go, and let us know how you got on!

So get your entries in by noon on Tuesday 3rd March, and don’t forget, the new rules apply!

19 thoughts on “5 Minute Photoshoot

1. Andy Young March 27, 2012 / 1:41 pm

Good grief. It is still Tuesday afternoon innit?

2. Val March 27, 2012 / 4:11 pm

Ooooh … scary! (Sounds like “proper” photography, LOL!!)

3. Lee Griffiths March 31, 2012 / 8:57 am

Struggling to find somewhere interesting to go, even just for 5 minutes! I think I have some back up plans in my head but may have to skip this week.

4. Paul April 1, 2012 / 4:04 pm

Come on Lee, don’t give up!

Use your front room, see what interesting detail shots you can take of that gorgeous piano of yours! Go out into the garden for 5 minutes in an evening, see if you can find a bee or a spider. Got any flowers in the garden?

Loads of scope, all on your doorstep – how about literally using your doorstep? I bet there are some interesting textures to be had on the side of your house, or in the road/gutter out the front. Manhole covers and drain covers can make great abstract images!

All you have to do is look! – Good luck!

5. Robert! April 1, 2012 / 6:02 pm

Long live husbands!!! Hahaha well done Antoinette.

6. Lee Griffiths April 2, 2012 / 6:35 pm

I did it! Decided to re-visit some water droplet photography as I enjoy it so much! I had to set the ‘drip’ quite close to the water, so I didn’t really get any splashes. However, out of all the ones I took in the 5 minutes this is my favourite! http://flic.kr/p/bv9p2s It reminds me of one of those crystal ball paperweights, I also like how there is a bubble within the droplet!

Love your photo Antoinette, and I like Capiro’s too!

7. Jonathan April 2, 2012 / 10:43 pm

Hey Lee, stop cheating! If you can help yourself by not looking, you’ll enjoy the results more when they are published on Tuesday!😛

8. Val April 3, 2012 / 9:57 am

Was hoping to get out somewhere “interesting” for this week’s challenge, but ended up doing five minutes in my lounge instead. This is the best of the bunch (pardon the pun!).

9. Lee Griffiths April 3, 2012 / 10:42 am

I can’t help my self, but I shall resist looking at the above comments! Hurry up and publish I’ll have no nails left!! lmao