This week, your Challenge is slightly more technical. I want you to make a picture using the colour pop technique. For those who don’t know, a colour pop is a black & white picture with one object shown in colour, such as this picture of New York City, taken by Flickr user datawise.

Colour pop
Colour pop

You’ll need to choose a scene that has one or more objects with a bright and distinctive colour. Then, the magic is in the editing – you start with a colour image and remove colour from where it’s not needed. There are several ways of achieving the “colour pop” look and all of them require an image editor. If you don’t have one, I recommend using GIMP, as it is free! Have a look at these tutorials and apps for making a colour pop image. If you want to search, try searching for selective colour as well as colour pop.

If you’re not familiar with image editing, this can be quite a daunting task but it is also a great introduction to using and image editor. I hope that everyone will have a go at this challenge!

So, please take and prepare a colour pop image using these tutorials or any other method you prefer. Send it in to us by noon on Tuesday 26th February.

13 thoughts on “Pop!

1. Paul February 19, 2013 / 1:27 pm

Of course, if you’re in complete control of all the elements in your scene, you could also do it in camera…

• Jonathan February 19, 2013 / 2:52 pm

Good thinking, Paul. If anyone gets stuck with this, give a shout in the comments and we can talk about it🙂

2. Kate February 24, 2013 / 2:01 pm

Hi, sorry I have been AWOL for a while.

Here is my submission for this week
    shark boatyard pop

3. PaGe-in-L-Space February 24, 2013 / 5:24 pm

Hello, I like this theme !
    Here is my second submission (and second color pop actually) :
    Sunset reflection

4. James Smith February 25, 2013 / 4:43 pm

After having been away for a little over a year. I’m glad to be back. The Mallard

5. Stuart Carter February 25, 2013 / 9:17 pm

That’s what I was thinking, Paul. I really don’t like selective desaturation – often the ‘wrong’ element is desaturated making a confused image. If I get round to it, I’ll post a “real life” image. I doubt I’ll get round to it before noon tomorrow, though…

6. Paul A February 26, 2013 / 9:47 am